Monday, September 9, 2013

My Favorite Writing

Ever ran through a forest hoping to not get killed?
Or be a teenager girl with the hopes of getting a green or yellow Volkswagen bug for Christmas?
Nope.
Never.
But my imagination has with the help of black words printed on ivory sheets of pulp material.

Writing in the first person enlivened what reading meant to me as a freshman in high school.
I hated reading.
I hated book reports, and perhaps the coercive assignments lead toward hating reading in general.
When I read Diary of a Teenage Girl by Melody Carlson (2000), I felt it was my own diary, er, “journal” - I refuse to be acquainted with the tween, frou-frou privacy books.
I could relate to the character so well that when I did begin documenting my life before I turned 15-years-old, I used the book's format as a basis for my writing (and discovered I love parenthesis).
There was nothing particular about the passage, just someone similar in age that allowed time to pass as I read – a rarity at the time.
That moment sprung my love for reading.

Another first person book I read in a matter of days is The Hunger Games (2010) by Suzanne Collins.
Page six reads, “In the woods waits the only person with whom I can be myself.
Gale.
I can feel the muscles in my face relaxing, my
pace quickening as I climb the hills to our place, a rock
ledge overlooking a valley.
A thicket of berry bushes protects
it from unwanted eyes.
The sight of him waiting there brings on a smile.
Gale says I never smile except in the woods.”

Being in the first person allows for more sensory images because the author needs to make the reader become the character, as opposed to reading a scene with sensory details.
Stories like these engage me, challenging my stubborn self to cry or turn the page with excitement because it feels like a personal experience.
Perception is why the first person storyline is my favorite writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment